School picture day is often met with a certain love/hate sentiment. Some people love to get dressed up and get their picture taken, while others hate picture day with a passion. For those people that love picture day, these tips may help them love it just a little bit more; for those that hate it, the tips offered in these posts may make the day a little more bearable. Some easy ways to ensure that your child’s school pictures turn out well include ensuring that they get enough sleep the night before the picture, avoiding a lot of salty food the day prior to picture day and drinking plenty of water. To avoid stressing out the day of pictures, make sure that your kids are wearing clothes that you both like and that they’ve picked a hairstyle that makes them feel confident. These and other tips can be found in the following 20 blogs.
What to Wear
Take some time a day or two before picture day to pick out the outfit that your child will wear. Make sure that the clothes are ironed and free from stains. While bright colors photograph well, you also want to make sure that the color compliments your child’s skin tone and is one that they like. Try to err more towards classic looks that transcend the times rather than trendy ones that your child may hate 20 years from now. For more helpful clothing tips, read these five blogs.
- Photo Tricks: Taking Great School Portraits Brightly colored clothing photographs well, so try to pick something colorful for your child to wear on picture day.
- Picture Perfect: School Picture Day This blogger recommends three different outfits as potential contenders for picture day.
- Gumball’s Guide to School Picture Day Your child’s outfit on picture day needs to be one that makes her feel confident and comfortable.
- Picture Day Outfit Avoid using picture day as a time to experiment with new clothing styles; instead, make sure your child wears something that reflects her personality.
- Choosing Picture Day Clothes While it would be nice to have your child dress up, sometimes it’s better to have her wear an outfit that reflects who she is and that feels good wearing.
It’s tempting to create an elaborate hairstyle for school pictures, but keep in mind that your child may have to wait several hours to get her picture taken and the hairstyle may not look as nice by that time. Boys typically don’t face the same hairstyle problems girls do, but they should still look neat and well-kept, not like they just rolled out of bed. These five blogs will share some picture day hairstyles that might be perfect for your child.
- Picture Day Hairstyles for Girls Try to go with a classic hairstyle for your daughter on picture day so that the pictures will be timeless.
- Cute Little Girl Hairstyles for Picture Day This post shows you how to dress up a classic ponytail for picture day.
- A Few Hair Ideas for Picture Day… Choose a simple hairstyle for school picture day so that you will still like the pictures in the future.
- Back-to-School—5 Picture Day Hairstyles/ First Day of School (No Heat) You’ll find five different hairstyle options that are perfect for picture day in this post.
- Picture Day Take a look at these picture day hairstyles for photo-worthy hairstyles your child will love.
What Not to Do
Sometimes knowing what to avoid is just as important as knowing what to do. Many parents will rush out to get their child’s hair cut right before picture day, however it’s better to get a haircut a few weeks prior. This way you have time to figure out how to style it, especially if the cut ends up being a dud. Check out these five blog posts for more things to avoid on picture day.
- 8 Tips for Picture Day Don’t get a haircut the day before picture day because there won’t be time to fix it if something goes wrong.
- School Picture Success Means Prep but Not Poses Avoid having your child practice smiling for the camera, as this can make the smile look fake or forced.
- 12 Most Awkward Hairdos for a Photo The photos in this post are a good reminder why classic looks are best when it comes to pictures.
- Back-to-School: Picture Day Hair & Make-Up Tips Skip wearing foundation with SPF on picture day because it can make your skin look shiny.
- How To: Take a Decent Portrait Photograph Not all clothing styles photograph well, so you’ll want to avoid wearing certain styles on picture day.
Little girls don’t need make-up, even on picture day. As girls get older, they may want to start wearing a little make-up and getting into a skincare routine. It’s important to teach your kids how to properly apply makeup and how to adopt a “less is more” face routine, otherwise they can end up looking overly done up in their photographs. These five blog entries will explain what kind of make-up works well on picture day.
- Picture Day Tips Watch this video for tips on how to do your make-up on picture day so you look your best on camera.
- Back-to-School Series: Picture Day Make-Up Tips! This video will teach you how to create a flawless look with your make-up for picture day.
- Make-Up Tips from Middle School to College The key is to use make-up to enhance natural beauty, not to try and cover flaws.
- 10 Make-Up Tips to Look Good in Pictures… You’ll find plenty of helpful makeup tips in this post, such as making sure you blend your concealer well so that it doesn’t look blotchy in pictures.
- Make-Up Video—Make-Up Tips for Picture Day Take a look at this make-up tutorial to see how to transform your face for the picture perfect look.